Over the years, I’ve come to appreciate the meaning of that word. At times, ideas and the creation of the art come rather closely together. Other times, it takes a while for me to be satisfied with the end result. When I find myself stuck or at a loss for ideas, it’s time for me to take some time off from that piece, leave it aside for a while and then come back to it later.
Case in point was this new piece, titled “Symbiogenesis.” After making the wire mesh pod I was stumped as to how to finish it. I sprayed a sealant over it, which intensified the color of the fired clay which I did not care for. I preferred the brighter white of the clay so I had the piece refired. I tried some kind of attachments to the end of the pod to suggest tails or flagella, but that did not sit well with me. I toyed with the idea of a vertically mounted piece but that opened up an entirely new can of worms involved with installation and pedestals, etc. I knew I wanted something inside the cavity of the pod; that’s the entire theme of the title. I played with several ideas unsatisfactorily and finally decided to keep the image simple and clean.
This piece was over a year in the making.
The piece is 27"L x 11"D x 9"H. The outer pod is paper clay over steel mesh, fired to Cone 06. The internal spheres are homemade Black Mountain paper clay, Cone 10 reduction. No glazes were used.